Wednesday, October 05, 2005

BWCA Day 3.

Once again, I'm up at first light. No sleeping in for me this trip. Today is a travel/exploring day. We are taking a circuitous route through Boot, Fairy, Gun, Bullet, to Moosecamp where we have heard the walleyes are biting. Since we have no hydrocarbons to power our canoes, we must power them with carbohydrates and Greg has just the substance: blueberry pancakes.
Sidenote: The previous night at the campfire, a Maker's Mark discussion between Greg and I concluded that if I was up early enough to make a batch of wild rice, he would make blueberry/wild rice pancakes. We'll since I can't sleep in, I went ahead and made the wild rice.
So, we dumped in a generous amount of wild rice, and proceeded to eat a whole box of pancake mix, with wild rice. Feeling stuffed as an old grizzly bear, we piled into the canoes with fishing poles, MSR stoves, bacon, a frying pan and a filet knife. We were going to "catch our lunch" today. It was a good thing we also threw in the bagels, cheese, and sausage.
We were able to ride with the wind through the lakes mentioned above, but quickly realized that we would NOT want to paddle back into the wind. We decided we would take the shorter route through the stream that connects Moosecamp to Fourtown. With water levels low, this was a risky decision. More on that to follow.
Gun and Fairy lakes were extremely clear and pretty lakes. We did fish and landed a few smallies, but nothing to speak of or eat. Moosecamp produced one pike which we promptly ate. We all stretched out for a nap in the warm sun and breeze, resting up for what threatened to be a rough trip back to base.
The levels were low when we started into the stream, but navigable. After the second beaver dam, we knew we were going to get muddy. We dragged, lined, and portaged over half of the distance to Fourtown, but still felt it was better that battling the wind the entire way back through Gun, Boot, Moosecamp, Bullet, and Fairy.
We caught a few fish in Fourtown on the way back to camp, but again, nothing to write home about. The breeze kept up after dark, but it was out of the south and quite warm. We made up wild rice with fried onions, lots of garlic and butter, and a generous amount of cayenne, wrapped in the remaining tortillas. The rice was harvested and finished by my Dad and I in early September, and tasted fantastic!
We decided to finish off the platy's that night. I should say, Greg and I decided to finish off the platys that night. Another bad decision. I'll leave it at that.
Stars, northern lights, excellent cloud interaction with the NL, too much drinking, and Jake nodded off about 14 times while sitting by the fire. I think the Crazy Creek 3 chair had something to do with the drowsiness. The CC3 is on my Christmas list for sure.
Went to the tent with the spins around 1:00 a.m. Next year I'll bring booze home if I have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home