Monday, March 20, 2006

Full weekend.

This was quite a weekend, for me at least.
Friday night was spent bowling and drinking with my good friend Cory. We ended up bowling 5 games and drinking far too many beers. I've been bowling at regular intervals lately, but Cory hasn't bowled in years. Needless to say, he had the high score of the night, a 181. Not too shabby.
Saturday morning was spent trying to be tough and not show my wife I was completely hung over. The smells of frying bacon and fresh ground coffee proved to be impossible to sleep through, so up and at 'em at 8:00 a.m. (that is still sleeping in with two kids.) We loaded up the chitlins and headed for the nearest All-Clad dealer in the area in search of new kitchen ware. We had been setting aside money for this for a while so this was exciting enough to put the hangover on the back burner. After hemming and hawing over adding a 10" fry pan to the set, we settled on the All-Clad MC2 7 piece set. Jess bought the kids a cookie in the coffee shop next door, and we headed home to try out the new pans. After lunch (green eggs and ham) I took a leisurely 3 hour nap. Hangover cured.
I made a great dinner using the new cookware, but that will have to be a separate post.
Sunday brought sunshine and a vino induced hangover for Jess. Did I mention I made a great dinner the night before? Good food has a way of making you drink too much good wine. Anyway, we loaded up the kids, the kayak, and my guitar and headed to Jess's sister's house. Jake and I had a river float planned, and after the float we were to watch the 5 kids while Jess and her sister relaxed and drank coffee and spoke glowingly of their adoring husbands.
The float was a blast! We put in on the Apple River on the Church St. Bridge. The weather was nice: 37 degrees with sunshine, and almost zero wind at water level. We dressed accordingly and were extremely comfortable. Nice stretch of river with high banks, a few riffles, and hundreds of geese. We actually saw a snowmobile while kayaking, a first for both of us. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed being back on the water after 3 months. We even managed to play in some fast water at the takeout.
After that, back to reality and dealing with cooking dinner for 5 kids and 2 ravenous kayakers.
It was the best weekend of the year, so far.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home